podcast feed generation for itunes

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Wed Jul 15 17:36:09 MDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Scott Edwards<supadupa at gmail.com> wrote:
> My music is a bit of a mess on multiple computers, but I'd like to
> consolidate most of it to the ibook so I can sync to my soon to be
> here ipod. :)
>
> Importing music with mac+o doesn't seem to digest large collections
> well.  I have some podcasts that seem to handle this better.  I have
> apache running on all my workstations (huzza for mod_userdir).  I'm
> sufficiently savvy with perl, but I'm lazy! Is there a wheel for this?
>  I don't mind inventing my own, but I need something to take a list of
> files, and create the spiffy xml file for feeding itunes as a podcast
> so it'll download stuff over the network etc.

Using the podcasting mechanisms to download your local tunes is very
hackish, and unnecessary.

The simplest way to accomplish your goal is to:
* Mount the source location to the destination using Samba/NFS/etc
* Verify iTunes is configured to copy files to the local library
* Using the File -> Add to Library dialog to select the folder on the
mounted location to Add to your Library.

an alternative may include simple rsync from source to destination,
and using the Add to Library of the local folder, after turning off
the "Keep my iTunes music folder organized" option.

--lonnie