Music Streaming

Matt Nelson matt at frozenatom.com
Mon Jul 13 12:39:10 MDT 2009

Well the time has come to take another look around.  I have quite a bit of
music in my music library, which makes it annoying and unrealistic to sync
it all to my iphone/ipod/laptop/work (not that I want to), etc...

I have used Subsonic for the last few years and it has done quite well as a
music streamer.  It works as a standalone app, or as a simple .war file that
you drop into an application server.  More details can be found here:

http://subsonic.sourceforge.net/

Well I have found some shortcomings that lead me to look around and see what
you all are using to see if there is something better.  The main thing that
I would like is something that will tie in with the iPhone (I commute for a
few hours a day so this is a big plus to be able to do over the G3
network).  It would also be nice if it had the ability to stream video, and
transcode it on the fly to a mobile format, again for the iPhone, or for
viewing on a small screen in a car, for the kids...