Regional SPAM Blocking in Postfix

Ryan Simpkins plug at ryansimpkins.com
Fri Jul 10 12:52:48 MDT 2009

On Thu, July 9, 2009 15:44, Gabriel Gunderson wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Ryan Simpkins<plug at ryansimpkins.com> wrote:
>> This is the real file I use, so it will be updated over time.
>
> If you make it publicly available and encourage people to use it, you
> might want to warn them...
>
> """207.14.144.38  451  "Zions Bank: Are you daft, or what? Go away and
> stop sending me mail."""
>
> I don't know for sure, but I'll bet there are a few people on the list
> that bank there.

Just for the record Gabe, I had the exact same thought. "If people bank at
zions, and they set this up, then they won't get spammed from them." I thought
about this for a while, then figured "maybe that's a good thing!"

I have modified my setup and moved 'personal' cidr entries to
/etc/postfix/personal_cidr, and renamed cidr to regional_cidr (to make it more
clear). Now my config looks like this:

smtpd_client_restrictions =
    cidr:/etc/postfix/regional_cidr,
    cidr:/etc/postfix/personal_cidr,
    reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org,
    reject_rbl_client bl.spamcop.net,
    reject_rbl_client dnsbl.njabl.org

You can get the cidr file here http://ryansimpkins.com/regional_cidr or here
http://ryansimpkins.com/cidr

It should now be safe for people to add all the geo blocks without getting my
personal blocks. Thanks for the suggestion Gabe.

-Ryan