Request of reviewers

Alec Shaw shaw.alec at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 16:16:44 MDT 2009

I saw this on a message board I subscribe to. Thought some of you on the
PLUG might be interested.

Alec

Dear Colleagues,

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act appropriated $7.2 billion
and directed the Department of Agriculture's Rural Utilities Service
(RUS) and The Department of Commerce's National Telecommunications
Information Administration (NTIA) to expand broadband access to
unserved and underserved communities across the U.S., increase jobs,
spur investments in technology and infrastructure, and provide long-
term economic benefits.

NTIA needs your help!  NTIA is urgently asking the community to sign
up to be reviewers, on a first-come first-serve basis, for the first
round of grant applications to its Broadband Technologies
Opportunities Program (BTOP).  Applications for this first round of
BTOP funding will be accepted from July 14 through August 14, 2009.
Panel reviews will be done at least through the end of September.
Please see the attached for what NTIA is looking for and how to sign
up to be a reviewer.

Why should you help?  This is an important national initiative that
has potential to provide greatly enhanced network connectivity of
tremendous value to research and educational institutions acting as
community anchors. As members of the NSF CISE and OCI community, you
have a great deal of experience with reviewing grant proposals and
many of you have the requisite technical experience and expertise.
Please consider helping, as high quality reviewers from our community
will help ensure that these funds are well invested for our future.

For further details about the Administration’s initiative to bring
broadband to this nation, please see:

Biden’s announcement
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Vice-President-Biden-Launches-Initiative-to-Bring-Broadband-Jobs-to-More-Americans/

Register for Workshops
https://www.badgeguys.com/reg/2009/julyworkshops2009/register.aspx

General Info (looks sketchy, but click on the NOFA link for a load of
details)
http://broadbandusa.sc.egov.usda.gov/index.htm

Thank you very much,

Jeannette M. Wing, Assistant Director, Computer and Information
Science and Engineering Directorate
Ed Seidel, Office Director, Office of Cyber Infrastructure

----------

July 6, 2009
Call for Reviewers
Broadband Technology Opportunities Program
Help America Advance its National Objective of Broadband Access for All
The National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA)
of the U.S.
Department of Commerce is soliciting volunteers to serve as panelists
to evaluate grant
proposals for the $4.7 billion Broadband Technology Opportunities
Program (BTOP), an
important part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.
NTIA is accepting applications for its first round of BTOP grants from
July 14, 2009
until August 14, 2009, and will conduct panel reviews through at least
the end of
September, 2009. As a reviewer, your evaluations will be an important
factor considered
by NTIA in determining whether to award grant funding. To be
considered as a reviewer
you must have significant expertise and experience in at least one of
the following areas:
1) the design, funding, construction, and operation of broadband
networks or public
computer centers; 2) broadband-related outreach, training, or
education; and 3)
innovative programs to increase the demand for broadband services. In
addition you
must agree to comply with Department of Commerce policies on conflict
of interest and
confidentiality.
We are committed to ensuring that reviewers come from diverse
backgrounds and areas
of the United States. Please feel free to circulate this “Call for
Reviewers” to other
individuals or organizations that may be sources of qualified reviewers.
To apply to be a panel reviewer for BTOP, please email a resume
containing the
information below to BTOPReviewers at ntia.doc.gov:
• Name
• Residence (city and state)
• Email/phone number
• Employer
• Position/Title
• Years and types of experience and positions in fields related to
BTOP activities
NTIA will examine and approve reviewer applications on a first-come,
first-served basis.
Approved reviewers will be contacted to schedule participation in a
webinar orientation
session and teleconference panel reviews.
Although there will be no direct reimbursement for your time and
expertise, you may be
assured that you will be making a significant contribution to
enhancing broadband
services throughout the United States. We appreciate the valuable
contribution you will
be making to the success of BTOP and look forward to working with you
as a reviewer.
If you have questions, please send them by email to: BTOPReviewers at ntia.doc.gov
.
For additional information, please see http://www.broadbandusa.gov/