Linux MD problem

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at mail1.ttak.org
Tue Jul 7 22:44:12 MDT 2009

On 7/7/2009 1:03 PM, Mike Lovell wrote:
> I have a machine that has 4 disks in a raid 10 using md.
>
> [   28.575149] md: raid10 personality registered for level 10
> [   28.610827] md: md0 stopped.
> [   28.688678] md: bind<sdu1>
> [   28.688981] md: bind<sdv1>
> [   28.689269] md: bind<sdw1>
> [   28.689566] md: bind<sdx1>

Are you able to boot into the OS?  What does 'cat /proc/mdstat' show?
What does 'mdadm --examine /dev/sdu1' (or sdv,sdw,sdx) show?  Normally
if only one disk has failed, the array should be able to activate, but
in a degraded state.  For some reason your system thinks that sdu, sdv,
sdw are all in an invalid state, which means there are not enough
devices to reassemble the array.  I haven't seen the "non-fresh" error
before.  This could simply mean it avoided assembling the array due to
some sort of minor out of date, or out of sequence issue.  As a last
resort you could try to forcefully reassemble the array (no guarantees):

mdadm --examine /dev/sdu1 | grep -i uuid
# copy and paste the uuid into the following
mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 --force --uuid=[UUID_from_previous_command]

Kenneth