Linux MD problem

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Tue Jul 7 18:18:22 MDT 2009

I can't help, but am really interested to know your solution when you get it.

I have avoided the raid10 personality since I could never confirm the actual
layout to know that it really was mirroring. When I last tried it, all the
outputs it logged including when failing and adding devices implied it was
only striping--I was never convinced it worked--which was unacceptable for a
ha environment. Perhaps they could improve the usability of mdadm.

Instead, I have always done my own raid10 via layering raid0 on top of raid1
mirrors. This way I can make the physical topology anything I want, such as
mirroring or striping across different busses. It makes it possible to boot
from as well.