Smoke 'em if you got 'em

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at mail1.ttak.org
Sun Jan 18 00:20:50 MST 2009

On 1/16/2009 9:31 PM, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> Looks like Seagate has been shipping drives with bad firmware. If you
> have recent Seagate or Maxtor drives, probably want to check out the
> article. If your thinking about buying drives, probably want to wait
> until the bad drives get sold off.
>
> http://techreport.com/discussions.x/16246
> http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207931

Thanks for the heads up.  I have 3 x 1TB Seagate drives on my home file
server (model ST31000340AS).  I contacted the support, and they said the
updated firmware for these drives won't be available till next week.  He
did mention that even if the disks do experience this problem, the data
won't be affected, just the controller.  If needed free data recovery is
an option with this issue.

Thanks,
Kenneth