anyone familiar w/sun hardware, and sun OpenBoot?

MT Morales uugplug at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 15:05:39 MST 2009

On some Sun systems you could get locked out of console if the RSC is
already the default serial (or IP based) console, and if the RSC admin
account is unknown, you may even have to reset the RSC using the switches on
the card itself.  If it's not too much of a hazzle, I'd put the card back in
and verify the RSC settings from the OS (assuming you have access to it when
you boot it up all the way).
If you have the RSC command tools loaded, you can run the "scadm" command:

cd /usr/platform/`uname -i`/sbin
./scadm help  (for a list of commands)
./scadm show (for display all variables)
./scadm set <variable> (to make changes)

>From those commands you want to make sure IP console is not enabled, and
netsc_dhcp is set to false (unless you want to connect via IP to it)

If IP (static or dhcp) is not set on the RSC, then you should try setting
your serial session through the RSC port. Obviously if the right speed or
control bits are not used, you may be unable to get any output at all. I'd
check the specific serial settings for that v880 model standard serial port,
and RSC.

-m