Instructure is Looking for Developers

Devlin Daley devlin at instructure.com
Wed Jan 14 15:38:31 MST 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Doran L. Barton <fozz at iodynamics.com> wrote:
> Well, a little more background would be VERY helpful.
>
> Are you looking for hardware engineers, software engineers, web
> developers, web designers, database architects, IT people, what?

We're looking for people who can fill a few of those slots :)

This is a web application, so definitely looking for web developers
and web designers. Database and IT, for sure, but will definitely need
to be able to contribute in other ways. Hardware engineers, well, a
ways down the road we'll need to look at building appliances, but for
now a hardware engineer with a passion for web development would be
great too :)

We're building a full suite of tools for students, faculty and the
administration. These are mostly web-based, but include things like
real-time chat, collaborative groups, quizzes and tests, messaging
(email, feeds, texting), authentication (OpenID, CAS, LDAP,
Shibboleth, ActiveDirectory, Kerberos etc.) in a easy to use interface
that can also scale.

> If you've already established a development platform, what language(s)
> should interested people be fluent in?

Our development platform is Ruby on Rails, MySQL and lots of jQuery on
the front-end.

I wouldn't say we're only looking for people fluent in those
languages/technologies but just sharp people. I think good developers
can pick up whatever language/technology necessary to work on a
project they're interested in.

-- Devlin