Qt going LGPL

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Wed Jan 14 11:35:43 MST 2009

On 01/14/2009 10:31 AM, Levi Pearson wrote:

> I really don't care about what GUI toolkit my apps are written in, but I
> think many Linux apps that use Gtk will continue to do so largely
> because Gtk is C and Qt is C++.  A lot of C developers, rationally or
> not, hate C++ and won't consider switching to it.

And even some of us with only a mild distaste for C++ find Qt
unattractive because you don't REALLY write C++.  At least the last time
I checked, you wrote in a very C++-like language that moc pre-processed
to C++.  That gave me a rash.  I can understand why they did it, but I
would argue that it's not C++.

And I do prefer the Gtk look-and-feel to Qt.  I use Qt/KDE apps when I
like the app better (k3b, amarok) but it does seem like they target a
different type of user, or at least have different philosophies to the
point that convergence would really surprise (and probably disappoint) me.

Barry