Qt going LGPL

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 10:19:28 MST 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 9:23 AM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is good news indeed.  I hope that this leads to more under-the-hood
> integration with Qt and GTK, both in terms of event loop and subsystems
> such as kio_slaves/gvfs perhaps, more dbus integration, themes, etc.
> Being able to mix and match Qt-based objects and gobject-based objects
> and their signals may be somewhat useful.  Who knows.  Certainly the
> slashdot comments about calling for Gnome to change it's widget set to
> Qt are pretty funny.

I hope they're more than funny.  I understand the whole competition
argument, but I definitely identify more with those who argue that a
lack of UI consistency between popular open source software has
hampered the adoption of Linux on the desktop.  Let's face it.  While
GTK is a fine effort it is vastly inferior to Qt on both an
API/functionality level, and a look-and-feel level, and a
cross-platform level.  Qt is frankly miles ahead of GTK.  I hope that
GTK apps will be ported to Qt and GTK go away pertinently.  This will
really help both new Linux users and developers.