Qt going LGPL

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 09:23:57 MST 2009

Dave Smith wrote:
>> I just got an email from Nokia/Trolltech informing me that as of
>> version 4.5, Qt will be available cost free under the LGPL.
> Here's the official announcement:
>     http://www.qtsoftware.com/about/news/lgpl-license-option-added-to-qt
>
> And here's a FAQ:
>     http://www.qtsoftware.com/about/licensing/frequently-asked-questions

This is good news indeed.  I hope that this leads to more under-the-hood
integration with Qt and GTK, both in terms of event loop and subsystems
such as kio_slaves/gvfs perhaps, more dbus integration, themes, etc.
Being able to mix and match Qt-based objects and gobject-based objects
and their signals may be somewhat useful.  Who knows.  Certainly the
slashdot comments about calling for Gnome to change it's widget set to
Qt are pretty funny.