iTunes?

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Mon Jan 12 15:36:24 MST 2009

Jason Wright wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Levi Pearson <levi at cold.org> wrote:
>> This situation is analogous to the patent situation.  Software patents
>> are completely screwed up, yet a smart company MUST play the game in
>> order to remain competitive in the market.
>
> I'm not sure how it is analogous. DRM and patents are very different.

It is an analogy of people's beliefs.

In 2006, Apple believed it was not possible to be a large music
distributor without enforcing DRM; otherwise producers refused to sell.

Currently, many large software producers believe it is not possible to
run a software business without building a defensive patent portfolio;
otherwise they would be killed by patent trolls.

It would be wonderful to change those beliefs.  I'm glad progress is
being made in the music industry.

You might reasonably say that Apple is/was a hypocrite, but you should
acknowledge that Apple is now using its leverage to reduce the use of DRM.

Shane