iTunes?

Jason Wright jasonwright365 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 10:01:59 MST 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
> Levi Pearson wrote:
<snip>
> So no, I don't think I'm off on this call at all.  iTunes music store is
> a dead end, until they switch to MP3, or manage to get every little
> device on the planet AAC-capable, and I make this call given that the
> competition, when combined, rivals iTunes Store for music selection.
> Given all this, I can't see any reason to buy an AAC file when I can buy
> the 256 kb/s MP3 for the same price or cheaper and play it *everywhere*?

Very true. Despite what Apple says, DRM was never about elimiting
pirates. Bittorrent, and others still exist. It is about "eliminating
legitimate competition, hobbling interoperability, and creating de
facto technology monopolies" (see
http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/01/apple-shows-us-drms-true-colors )