iTunes?

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Sun Jan 11 22:41:42 MST 2009

Brandon Stout <bms at mscis.org> writes:

> Maybe I'm old fashioned this way, but since mp3s and ogg's don't have CD
> quality sound, I prefer buying the CD, then ripping to FLAC and using
> any player that supports FLAC decoding on any platform... or... just put
> the CD in the drive and play it.  When I looked at itunes purchases, I
> found that buying the CD was much less than buying every song on a cd in
> itunes format, so from my experience it's higher quality for less if you
> go with my antique 'buy the CD' method.

So, the used CD route is certainly the cheapest, but from reading your
posts about this I'm not sure if you understand the iTunes pricing
model.  You can buy a single track at a time (for ~$.99), or you can buy
by album (for ~$9.99).  Sometimes you can only get certain tracks by
buying a full album.  Sometimes you get some extras (music videos,
interviews, liner notes in pdf format, extra tracks, etc) for a little
extra cash.

Buying from iTunes gives you a reasonably priced (IMHO, at least)
product, a good (though not exhaustive) selection, and instant
gratification.  Buying used CDs is cheaper, but the selection can be
slim if you've got taste even a little off from the norm, and you either
have to drive to a used shop (even slimmer selection) or wait for online
shipping.

                --Levi