iTunes?

Brandon Stout bms at mscis.org
Sat Jan 10 23:25:21 MST 2009

Wade Preston Shearer wrote:

> On 10 Jan 2009, at 16:41, Brandon Stout wrote:
>
>> Maybe I'm old fashioned this way, but since mp3s and ogg's don't have CD
>> quality sound, I prefer buying the CD, then ripping to FLAC and using
>> any player that supports FLAC decoding on any platform... or... just put
>> the CD in the drive and play it.  When I looked at itunes purchases, I
>> found that buying the CD was much less than buying every song on a cd in
>> itunes format, so from my experience it's higher quality for less if you
>> go with my antique 'buy the CD' method.
>
> You'll have to give us to examples for me to believe that. Every time
> I have glanced at CDs in the store over the past several years, they
> are still priced in the $13-$16 range and I don't think I have paid
> more than $11.99 (usually $9.99) for albums through iTunes.

You have to go with collections, which is usually what I go with.

Example 1:  The Kingston Trio, a folk group from the 60's that sing
songs my dad played (and still plays when I twist his arm enough) on his
guitar while I grew up, and now I play the same songs on my guitar.
Their oldies but goodies.  Album: The Capitol Years.  I can get it for
less than $40, including shipping here:

http://www.amazon.com/Capitol-Years-Kingston-Trio/dp/B000002TOY/ref=pd_bbs_9?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1231653094&sr=8-9

If I buy used I might even get it for less than $30.  I might even beat
that by searching multiple sites.  With this collection, I get 97
songs.  If I buy them individually, I pay $96.03.

Example 2:  Say I want something more modern, like the Beach Boys...
just kidding, although their good, too.  Phil Collins Platinum
Collection I can get for $26.95 here:

http://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Collection-Phil-Collins/dp/B00021TL20/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1231654087&sr=1-1

That's 35 songs, which would cost me $34.65 if I get the same songs via
digital purchase from Amazon.  I still saved a few bucks, and I haven't
even looked at the used CD prices.

I admit, it's getting closer.  Last time I checked, I only looked at
itunes and it was $1.99 per song.  Then again, I can always buy CDs used
but almost as good as new for even less...

There's another advantage.  I don't have to worry about DRM.  I own the
CD, and I can play it on anything I want.  I can mp3 it or ogg it for a
portable device, I can FLAC it for a computer, or I can mp3 it and play
it in my dvd player on my TV.

Brandon