iTunes?

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Sat Jan 10 20:07:32 MST 2009

Michael Torrie wrote:
> Brandon Stout wrote:
>> Maybe I'm old fashioned this way, but since mp3s and ogg's don't have CD
>> quality sound, I prefer buying the CD, then ripping to FLAC and using
>> any player that supports FLAC decoding on any platform... or... just put
>> the CD in the drive and play it.  When I looked at itunes purchases, I
>> found that buying the CD was much less than buying every song on a cd in
>> itunes format, so from my experience it's higher quality for less if you
>> go with my antique 'buy the CD' method.
>
> What about the "buy the LP" method?  If you want sound quality, then LPs
> are frankly the only way to go.  Music that goes onto CDs is so highly
> compressed these days (mixed too loud with practically no dynamic range
> left) that you really don't get much of the benefit of the 20bits.  It's
> very sad and unfortunate.  Hence the difference between a 256 kbit/s mp3
> from Amazon and the CD would be practically nothing, in terms of
> fidelity of most of todays recordings.

Bad mastering has nothing to do with whether it's destined for CD or LP,
and even if you can buy an LP of a new release it's probably essentially
the same master, warts and all. The loudness war began before the move
to CDs.

The whole point of audio compression like mp3 is to throw out the stuff
that we can't tell got thrown out. If not taken too far, it is indeed
hard to distinguish. But it's not impossible, especially on high end
systems listened to by audiophiles.

That said, for pop music on average speakers or portable devices I find
mp3, ogg, etc. perfectly suitable. I only bother with lossless encoding
when I have something with a high degree of nuance, e.g. organ or choral
music.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach