iTunes?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 17:59:13 MST 2009

Brandon Stout wrote:
> Maybe I'm old fashioned this way, but since mp3s and ogg's don't have CD
> quality sound, I prefer buying the CD, then ripping to FLAC and using
> any player that supports FLAC decoding on any platform... or... just put
> the CD in the drive and play it.  When I looked at itunes purchases, I
> found that buying the CD was much less than buying every song on a cd in
> itunes format, so from my experience it's higher quality for less if you
> go with my antique 'buy the CD' method.

What about the "buy the LP" method?  If you want sound quality, then LPs
are frankly the only way to go.  Music that goes onto CDs is so highly
compressed these days (mixed too loud with practically no dynamic range
left) that you really don't get much of the benefit of the 20bits.  It's
very sad and unfortunate.  Hence the difference between a 256 kbit/s mp3
from Amazon and the CD would be practically nothing, in terms of
fidelity of most of todays recordings.