Michael Torrie torriem at
Sat Jan 10 15:37:04 MST 2009

Barry Roberts wrote:
> With Apple's recent announcement of dropping DRM, I'm interested in
> buying some music from iTunes.  Does anybody else (without a Windows or
> Mac box in the house) have a good way to use iTunes on Linux?

> I do have one legal XP running in VirtualBox, but I hate booting that
> thing up.  So if anybody knows of a Linux app or how to get iTunes 8
> working in Wine, or any other good Linuxy solution, I would like to hear
> it.

If I am only interested in music, then no question, iTunes Store is
simply the wrong place to buy from, even without DRM.  Buying from a
place that sells mp3s seems like a much better way to go.  There are now
actually several places to buy from that have as good or better prices
than iTune Store and have a selection that rivals iTunes Store quite nicely.

In short, iTunes is a dead end, even without DRM.