January PLUG Meeting: Parrot

Paul Seamons paul at seamons.com
Fri Jan 9 09:30:34 MST 2009

On Thursday 08 January 2009, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Stuart Jansen wrote:
> > I'm going to start by asking why anyone would care about Parrot. No one
> > cares about Perl anymore. Python is just as powerful and easier to read.
>
> Perlites, you've been attacked.  Is Perl really dying?
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/309375/

Yawn.

The entire economy is dying.  Pick something you don't like.  It is probably
dying.

Meanwhile I'll go back to my day job and program in Perl.

Paul

PS - Ovid, while an advocate for Perl, often seems a lousy advocate for Perl.
If you want to know what is happening with Parrot/Perl 6, I'd suggest:

http://use.perl.org/~chromatic/journal
or http://planet.parrotcode.org
or http://use.perl.org/journal.pl?op=list&uid=983
or http://rakudo.org/