January PLUG Meeting: Parrot

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Thu Jan 8 14:32:41 MST 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 13:56 -0700, Andrew McNabb wrote:
> I was thinking the same question as Stuart, but I couldn't figure out
> how to say it without it sounding like flamebait.  Apparently he
> couldn't either. :)

To me, one of the coolest things about Parrot is the Parrot Compiler
Toolkit. It makes creating a simple languages trivial, and complex
languages approachable.

Another potential benefit is better cross pollination of libraries and
frameworks. Imagine Ruby programmers having access to all of CPAN, Perl
mongers writing Django apps, Pythonistas interfacing with legacy TCL
code, TCL programmers scripting Scheme apps, Schemers... ignoring
Parrot, wandering around their own little universe grumbling about how
no one uses decent languages anymore.

At least in theory.

--
When you tell me I should give proprietary software a fair technical
evaluation because its features are so nice, what you are actually doing