January PLUG Meeting: Parrot

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Thu Jan 8 13:56:58 MST 2009

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 01:34:27PM -0700, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> I'm going to start by asking why anyone would care about Parrot. No one
> cares about Perl anymore. Python is just as powerful and easier to read.
> Py3K was started much later and finished much earlier. CPython is more
> complete than Python on Parrot, and faster. As are Jython and
> IronPython. I mean, even Matz's Ruby is faster that Ruby on Parrot.

I was thinking the same question as Stuart, but I couldn't figure out
how to say it without it sounding like flamebait.  Apparently he
couldn't either. :)

But seriously, with popular multi-language VMs like .NET and JVM, a
newcomer needs to have a killer feature.  I remember Damian Conway's
intertaining talk a few years back about Perl 6, which I can some up
with the words "cool in an evil way".  It was a lot of fun, but I'm
curious about what really sets it apart.

Andrew McNabb