January PLUG Meeting: Parrot

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Thu Jan 8 13:34:27 MST 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 13:21 -0700, Stephen Weeks wrote:
> Not long ago, Ryan Simpkins proclaimed...
> > I'd like to talk about Parrot and/or Perl 6! That's about as specific as I
> > get. If nobody has any more-specific requests, I'd like to run through
> > implementing a simple language and the parts of a Parrot compiler. Maybe
> > scheme? I haven't decided yet."
>
> A group this opinionated and nobody has any feedback at all on what
> they'd like to see?  I'm glad to show up and just start talking, but it
> would be ideal for me if I could find out what people are expecting.

I'm going to start by asking why anyone would care about Parrot. No one
cares about Perl anymore. Python is just as powerful and easier to read.
Py3K was started much later and finished much earlier. CPython is more
complete than Python on Parrot, and faster. As are Jython and
IronPython. I mean, even Matz's Ruby is faster that Ruby on Parrot.

Then I'm probably going to start making references to Duke Nukem
forever.

I know, I know. A little cliche. It's an oldie, but it's a goodie.

;-)

--
When you tell me I should give proprietary software a fair technical
evaluation because its features are so nice, what you are actually doing