anyone familiar w/sun hardware, and sun OpenBoot?

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Wed Jan 7 18:33:17 MST 2009

I'm working on a sun v880, and having trouble getting the console to behave as
I'd like.
When I boot into diagnostic mode (which takes 15min!), it first starts out
using the serial port, then switches to the local terminal (pci ati vga + usb
keyboard).
If I boot normally, it first starts out using the serial port, then redirects
control somewhere inaccessible, and I can't do anything with it.
If I take out the vga card and keyboard, it does the same thing--starts out
using serial, then redirects control to somewhere inaccessible.
(I've removed the RSC card, and doing so didn't change this behavior).
At this point, I'm questioning the intelligence of the sun engineers. This is
just maddening.
I've read through the owners guide and the service manual, and not found any
solution yet (but tried many). Google hasn't helped either.

It seems the only way I can maintain control is to boot into diagnostic mode,
and then use the local console after it switches.

What I need, is for the console to stay on the serial port, and to work when
booting normally as well as to diagnostic mode. (I need to be able to boot
this machine w/o the vga card.)