mysql load, help with ideas related to local cache

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Thu Feb 26 08:03:21 MST 2009

On Wed Feb 25 2009 18:45:06 Matt Nelson wrote:
> Watching it throughout the day it looks like NDO runs via its daemon, and
> does insert to the same table as the selects are running from.  It also
> does deletes, occasionally.  We ran out of our 100 connection limit about 4
> times today and each of these times the inserts and deletes where running.
> I'll keep ya'll posted if I get to the bottom of this, but I think there is
> something else going on that I'm still missing...

Well, if a write gets in, all the reads will be serialized behind it.
The idea is to treat those tables as a cache for collecting the data, then
generate your report into another table for viewing--the idea that copying the
report data will be a very quick insert-select write query and not block all
the reads when they come. In fact, if the insert-select query only appends to
the report table (and it has no holes), it won't block reads at all.