mysql load, help with ideas related to local cache

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Wed Feb 25 09:13:45 MST 2009

On Wed Feb 25 2009 09:00:39 Matthew Walker wrote:
> On Wed, February 25, 2009 8:43 am, Kirk Cerny wrote:
> > If the data is slow comming back where you are only doing SELECTs you
> > could look at compressing the data in mysql using myisampack.
> > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/myisampack.html
> >
> > I have tried doing this on read only data with awesome success.
>
> I don't think this fits his situation, because the data is being updated by
> other tools. It's just /this/ tool is only running selects.
>
> I'm curious as to why the selects should be causing a problem. How many
> queries per second are we talking about, and have you doublechecked that
> indexes are being used?

Agreed.

Also, my original suggestion may still help. If the problem is caused because
these selects are complicated, then what you want to do is compute the
resulting report once and cache it for multiple readers, thus minimizing the
slower queries to the update interval and not scaling the update queries with
the number of readers.