X.org, dual monitors and nv

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Tue Feb 24 13:04:46 MST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:15:09AM -0800, Gary Thornock wrote:

> Has anyone ever successfully set up dual monitors using the open
> source nv driver in X.org?

The nv driver has all kinds of problems and doesn't even support RandR
1.2.  I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work with dual
monitors.  However, the Nouveau driver has been making great progress.
I don't know if it's available for FreeBSD, but I've had pretty good
luck with it on Linux.  Anyway, with Nouveau, it should automatically
detect the displays, and you can use the xrandr command-line utility to
pick the orientation and placement of the monitors.

If Nouveau doesn't work, I don't think there's anything you can do.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/