How does one add a port forward to an openSSH live connection?

Doran L. Barton fozz at iodynamics.com
Mon Feb 23 08:45:58 MST 2009

On Monday 23 February 2009 08:32:50 Kenneth Burgener wrote:
> The putty ssh client is an awesome tool.  I also love the fact that
> putty has a Linux, Windows and Mac client, so I can use it from most any
> environment.  One of the features I love is the ability to add a port
> forward from a live connection.  This way I can keep my currently
> forwarded applications running, without having to kill everything then
> reconnect.  Can openSSH add a port forward to a live connection?

Yes. You have to issue the "escape character" which, unless you've changed it,
is ~ (preceded by a newline) and then "C". This will give you a command-line
at which you can type -L or -K commands. This is all documented in the ssh man
page.

For example:

	[~C]
	ssh> -L 5901:localhost:5901

It is very handy.

--
fozz at iodynamics.com is Doran L. "Fozz" Barton
 "Persons are prohibited from picking flowers from any but their own