Russel Caldwell caldr704 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 22:39:15 MST 2009

> The auto-mounting is being handled by either GNOME or KDE. This happens
> with any external removable media, such as CDROMs, thumb drives, and
> external disks. /media is the mountpoint used for the automount, and if
> a filesystem label exists on your media's filesystem, then the mount
> point will be /media/label, in your case, /media/backup.
> Adding the entry to /etc/fstab would mean that you want the disk mounted
> by the init on boot, rather than your preferred desktop manager. So,
> if you don't want it mounted on boot, don't add it to your fstab. Also,
> if added, and it's not present during boot, this will hang your boot
> process wating for you to confirm it's missing before continuing.
It looks like you guys led me in the right direction. Thanks. The basic idea
for me was to not have  the system auto-mount the drive but Gnome by default
does just that with a USB connection and when it does auto-mount the drive
it mounts it on the /media directory. So I changed the mount point in my
fstab file to /mnt/backup and that seems to have taken care of the problem.
It doesn't seem to be auto-mounting the drive and the icon is not showing up
on the desktop which was what I was aiming for. The only irritation is the
mounting process seems to occupy the drive for an inordinate amount of time
although I can access the drive fairly quickly after issuing the mount