fstab

Aaron Toponce aaron.toponce at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 21:49:51 MST 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 08:55:30PM -0700, Russel Caldwell wrote:
> I've probably spent more time on this than I should have. Maybe somebody can
> help me out. I'm trying to set up an external drive in fstab on an Ubuntu
> 8.04 machine so that I can mount it explicitly rather than on boot. The line
> in fstab is:
> /dev/sdc1    /media/backup    vfat    rw,user,noauto,noexec    0    0
>
> When I try to mount it from the command line I get:
> mount: according to mtab, /dev/sdc1 is already mounted on /media/backup
>
> It seems to be auto-mounting on boot. When I check mtab there is a line that
> reads:
> /dev/sdc1 /media/backup vfat rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=rlc 0 0
>
> Why would it auto-mount when I have the noauto option in fstab?

The auto-mounting is being handled by either GNOME or KDE. This happens
with any external removable media, such as CDROMs, thumb drives, and
external disks. /media is the mountpoint used for the automount, and if
a filesystem label exists on your media's filesystem, then the mount
point will be /media/label, in your case, /media/backup.

Adding the entry to /etc/fstab would mean that you want the disk mounted
by the init on boot, rather than your preferred desktop manager. So,
if you don't want it mounted on boot, don't add it to your fstab. Also,
if added, and it's not present during boot, this will hang your boot
process wating for you to confirm it's missing before continuing.

--
                       _
Aaron Toponce         ( )  ASCII Ribbon Campaign