fstab

Bart Whiteley bart.plug at whiteley.org
Sat Feb 21 21:19:52 MST 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Russel Caldwell <caldr704 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've probably spent more time on this than I should have. Maybe somebody can
> help me out. I'm trying to set up an external drive in fstab on an Ubuntu
> 8.04 machine so that I can mount it explicitly rather than on boot. The line
> in fstab is:
> /dev/sdc1    /media/backup    vfat    rw,user,noauto,noexec    0    0
>
> When I try to mount it from the command line I get:
> mount: according to mtab, /dev/sdc1 is already mounted on /media/backup
>
> It seems to be auto-mounting on boot. When I check mtab there is a line that
> reads:
> /dev/sdc1 /media/backup vfat rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=rlc 0 0
>
> Why would it auto-mount when I have the noauto option in fstab?

Just a guess...  The USB/auto-mounting magic is mounting it regardless
of fstab.  For example, when you insert a USB thumb drive, it
auto-mounts even though it is not in fstab.

Does it auto-mount during boot, or after logging in to the window
manager?  My experience is that a USB drive will not be mounted during
boot (unless fstab instructs it to be mounted), but when you log in to
the window manager it will be detected and auto-mounted.

Also, in fstab you probably don't want to use /dev/sdc1, because that
could get assigned to a different device depending on what other USB
devices might be plugged in.  Safer to use the /dev/disk/by-id/*-part1
symlink.