fstab

Russel Caldwell caldr704 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 20:55:30 MST 2009

I've probably spent more time on this than I should have. Maybe somebody can
help me out. I'm trying to set up an external drive in fstab on an Ubuntu
8.04 machine so that I can mount it explicitly rather than on boot. The line
in fstab is:
/dev/sdc1    /media/backup    vfat    rw,user,noauto,noexec    0    0

When I try to mount it from the command line I get:
mount: according to mtab, /dev/sdc1 is already mounted on /media/backup

It seems to be auto-mounting on boot. When I check mtab there is a line that
reads:
/dev/sdc1 /media/backup vfat rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=rlc 0 0

Why would it auto-mount when I have the noauto option in fstab?