Another Hardware Question

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Fri Feb 20 11:33:19 MST 2009

Kimball Larsen <kimball at kimballlarsen.com> writes:

> http://www.surpluscomputers.com/348232/rackable-systems-dual-xeon-3.0ghz.html
>
> Freely confessing that I know next to nothing about the Xeon family of
> processors, and if the raid controller included in this box is any
> good, I throw myself upon the mercies of the PLUG Hardware Gods™ to
> help me get informed.
>
> 1)  Is this machine too old to be worth the trouble?
> 2)  Is the motherboard and raid controller Linux friendly?

I've run Linux on the Intel server boards of that era and they work
well.  The RAID controller looks decent (i.e. it looks like server-class
hardware and had a pretty steep price tag when new) and supposedly has
great Linux support, though it'll be SATA vs. SATA2, if that matters to
you.

I've currently got a dual-Xeon 2.2Ghz server system with 4Gb of RAM, and
it works quite nicely, although it's not a speed demon at
computationally-intensive processes.  Xeons are nice because of the
hefty L2 cache they have vs. the P4 of the same era, which makes them a
bit speedier than a P4 of the same speed.

One thing to keep in mind is that it's likely to be very loud, so
hopefully you have a machine room for it.

                --Levi