New Server Hardware Recommendations?

Kimball Larsen kimball at kimballlarsen.com
Thu Feb 19 16:51:25 MST 2009

On Feb 19, 2009, at 4:41 PM, Stuart Jansen wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 16:31 -0700, Kimball Larsen wrote:
>> if ($7.40 < $20)
>> {
>>     buyHomeServer();
>> }
>> else
>> {
>>     useExternalSharedhost();
>> }
>
> You missed some important tests, let me help you with that:
>
> if (($7.40 < $20)
>    && (isp == RELIABLE)

Yup - lived here for 1.8 years, never an outage.

>    && (power_company != UTAH_POWER)

I fled UT a while back.  Idaho Power is good - had 1 outage I can
remember, UPS kept things running perfectly.

>    && (spouse_child_or_pet_unplugs_server == NO_BIG_DEAL)

spouse_child_or_pet cannot reach server (top shelf of custom room
built in garage to store canned goods and hot computer equipment) -
but, if they unplug it, no big deal.