New Server Hardware Recommendations?

Chad R Mayfield chad at planetmayfield.com
Thu Feb 19 16:03:48 MST 2009

On Feb 19, 2009, at 3:25 PM, Charles Curley wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 09:32:20AM -0700, Chad R Mayfield wrote:
>> On Feb 19, 2009, at 9:11 AM, Dennis Muhlestein wrote:
>>>
>>> Why host your own?  If you're going to spend $$$ on a server, why
>>> not
>>> just spend $ on a good virtual server.  You can do an Amazon E2C
>>> cloud
>>> virtual server for around $50/month I think.
>>

>> Some people may not trust "the Cloud".  So they host their own.
>

> Right. Having read "The Forbin Project", I like the idea of being able
> to pull the plug on the dang things.

Indeed.

The Forbin Project (the movie not the book) is being remade by
Universal [1], I imagine it will include scenes from one of the amazon
EC2 data centers surrounded by all sorts of countermeasures and a
placard with their TOS on the door on it saying, "all data stored here
is ours even though you created it!"  Instead of being built in the
center of a mountain. :)  Sorry amazon lovers, I don't intend to flame.

[1] http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=19966

Chad