[OT] Stupid, evil DRM

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Thu Feb 19 14:20:13 MST 2009

Barry Roberts <blr at robertsr.us> writes:
> My question is, does ANYBODY use HDMI for that?  My receiver has 2
> HDMI inputs.  But if you want to hear the audio with that, you have to
> use coax or optical as well.  All it does is switch the HDMI output.
> Nothing (receivers, TV's, etc.) that I've found can use an HDMI audio
> signal and pass it along.  My TV will pass along a stereo version of
> the audio out from the HDMI inputs to its coax output.  That's really
> handy.
>
> So what good is combined audio+video on HDMI?  Do most people have one
> combined audio and video output device (do people really still use the
> speakers in their TVs)?  Or am I missing something?

You need a better receiver, apparently.  Mine is able to read the
digital audio stream from HDMI instead of just acting as a dumb HDMI
switch.  It's very convenient to only have to connect one cable from my
DVD player or whatever to my receiver.  All the darned legacy junk in my
system keeps the cable count high, though.

None of which has anything to do with DRM, stupid and evil though it may
be.

                --Levi