New Server Hardware Recommendations?

Chad R Mayfield chad at planetmayfield.com
Thu Feb 19 11:50:36 MST 2009

On Feb 19, 2009, at 11:41 AM, Shane Hathaway wrote:

> Nicholas Leippe wrote:
>> Not if it's a *personal* server for his home lan... his local 100Mb/
>> GigE is going to outperform anything crossing his DSL/cable
>> connection hands down.
>
> Right.  I have both, a home server and an externally hosted virtual
> server.  The external server is better for hosting web sites, while
> the home server is better for unusual stuff like:

There is no reason why someone who wants *total* control could not run
their own VPS and Home Server.  Using something like Proxmox[1] you
can run your own OpenVZ containers or KVM machines to host your
website and also experiment with the crash prone os's that you might
install in a new KVM.  Obviously your connection and hardware would be
the two major factors in deciding on this method.

I have actually been doing this for quite sometime and it works quite
well.

[1] http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Main_Page

Chad