New Server Hardware Recommendations?

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Thu Feb 19 10:52:06 MST 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 10:30:27AM -0700, Kimball Larsen wrote:

> Control and cost.  First off, this is only a *personal* server - I don't
> use it for any of my business stuff at all.  For < $400 I can put
> together an adequate box that even has a few bells / whistles.  At $50 /
> month, a hosted server will cost more than my dsl connection at home to
> connect to the darn thing.

If you want control and cost, go with Linode and Slicehost, like Stuart
recommended.  For $20 or so a month, you get your own virtual machine
that you can modify to your heart's content.  Plus it will have a faster
and more reliable network connection than a server at home would.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/