New Server Hardware Recommendations?

Dennis Muhlestein djmuhlestein at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 09:11:58 MST 2009

Kimball Larsen wrote:
> So, my elderly (4+ years old) home server is banging on death's door, so
> I need to figger out what to use to replace it.
>
> It's been a while (uhm, 4+ years) since I've had the pleasure of trying
> to build out my own linux box rather than buying something
> pre-configured for windows and just slapping linux on it.  So, I've got
> some questions:
>
> What processor family will offer the best bang for the buck?  Should I
> go with an AMD or an Intel?  What are the advantages of Phenom vs
> Athalon vs Opteron?  Do various flavors of linux like one processor
> family more than another?
>
> How's about motherboards?  I assume that after I pick a CPU, I should
> mate it with a well-supported motherboard.  Any that you can recommend
> as having solid linux support for all their doo-dads?
>
> I prefer to make this thing be as small as possible (think media center
> pc sized), but have space for a typical ATX case if need be.
>
> Thanks!

Why host your own?  If you're going to spend $$$ on a server, why not
just spend $ on a good virtual server.  You can do an Amazon E2C cloud
virtual server for around $50/month I think.

50/month * 4 years = $2400.  Slightly more than the 1500 an adequate
server will cost but lots less than the 3-5k a server that could rival
what you get for the price would be.

I'm sure there are other many hosting options with many different price
points.

-Dennis