New Server Hardware Recommendations?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Feb 18 21:10:36 MST 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 08:47:24PM -0700, Michael Torrie wrote:
> Kimball Larsen wrote:
> > I spec'd out a few things on Newegg - would love any feedback anyone
> > can offer:
> >
> > Case:
> > ASUS V3-M2NC61P AMD Socket AM2+ / AM2 NVIDIA MCP61P 2-Tone Barebone
> >
> > CPU:
> > AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core
> > Processor Model ADO5000DOBOX
> >
> > Hard Drives: (2x)
> > Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard
> > Drive
> >
> > Memory:
> > CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual
> > Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5
> >
> > Total Cost:
> > $373.96 (aka el-cheapo)
>
> Should be fine.  Has Seagate fixed their problems yet?  I think you
> could go for an even lower watt processor and be totally fine.  My main
> workstation is an AMD 4550e processor, 45 watts.  It runs most of the
> time at 40% CPU speed.

http://www.fit-pc.com/new/, get the 1.0 version. 5 watts max, vs 45
for what Michael specified. Runs cool, about 20 degrees F over
ambient. Utterly quiet: no fans, and I can't hear the hard drive even
when it spins down or up. $195 + shipping.

Doesn't have quite the hard drive space you called out, but do you
really need that much? I use one for a firewall, another for other
network services. The network services box does amanda backups to one
external drive, then I swap two more out for off-site storage.

The only reason I use two fit-pcs is paranoia: if bad guys get past
the firewall, they've still got to crack the other machines on the net
to do any useful damage to me.