local variables in bash

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Fri Feb 13 20:03:31 MST 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-13 at 18:56 -0700, Chris wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 5:24 PM, Merrill Oveson <moveson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This is a problem with bash
>
> Problem with bash?
>
> Because its behavior happens not to align with your prejudices about
> scoping rules?
>
> There's nothing inherently right or wrong about dynamic scoping,
> though it might serve as tinder for some future plug.org flamefest.

Uhm, actually there is something wrong with dynamic scoping. Experience
has taught that it makes writing bug free applications harder.

By your argument, there's nothing inherently wrong with writing large
applications in assembly. Of course, we all realize that doing so would
be insane. Some languages provide better tools for solving certain types
of problems.

I love Bash more than most people on this list. But even I recognize it
is best for very quickly writing small, simple scripts that don't
require complex data structures. Bash's design makes everything else
harder. That's a problem when your needs become gradually more complex
over time. A problem with Bash.

--
When you tell me I should give proprietary software a fair technical
evaluation because its features are so nice, what you are actually doing