local variables in bash

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Fri Feb 13 12:09:48 MST 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-13 at 11:35 -0700, Levi Pearson wrote:
> Yeah, I know it doesn't stand for that officially anymore, but the
> legacy is there.  Using a hypertext preprocessor for unixioid scripting
> sounds similarly braindead, though.

It's offensive, not not entirely braindead. PHP includes alot of
libraries standard. For example DB and LDAP support. You can access
databases and directories with other languages, but you usually have to
install extra libraries first. Which is why there's a special version of
PHP: php-cli.

The real problem with PHP isn't that it's a "hypertext processor". The
real problem is that it's a horribly messy, brain damaging language. It
might have real scoped variables, but only recently did it add
namespaces. Its built in DB functions are still a joke, and a trap for
newbies. Etc.

--
When you tell me I should give proprietary software a fair technical
evaluation because its features are so nice, what you are actually doing