local variables in bash

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Fri Feb 13 10:52:24 MST 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-13 at 10:32 -0700, Merrill Oveson wrote:
> Perl can do everything a bash script can do and more?  (I've played with it
> a little in the past.)

Well... theoretically any Turing complete language can do everything
another Turing complete language can do. But that's not really helpful.

What you're really asking is: "How hard is it to move from Bash to
Perl?"

Depends. Running commands like Bash is a tiny bit more difficult, but
not much. Managing data is much easier. If your program really is
complex enough to variable scoping is a real problem, even if switching
to Perl takes some work, you'll be glad you did when you're done.

The nice thing about Perl is that you can program Perl like most other
languages. You can write Bash-like Perl, C-like Perl, Lisp-like Perl. Of
course shouldn't. You should write Perl-like Perl and learning to do so
requires time, just like everything else.

--
When you tell me I should give proprietary software a fair technical
evaluation because its features are so nice, what you are actually doing