local variables in bash

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Fri Feb 13 10:13:38 MST 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-13 at 10:06 -0700, Merrill Oveson wrote:
> Would doing this in the C shell solve this problem?

Friends don't let friend use csh.

> If so, and forgive my ignorance, does the C shell have all the usual easy to
> do: mkdir, mv, awk, sed, etc - capabilities?

Those aren't part of Bash, they're plain old
commands. /bin/mkdir /bin/mv /usr/bin/awk /bin/sed, etc.

If you are having a problem keeping your variables clean, that's a sign
that it's time to stop using the shell. Shell scripting should only be
used to solve small, simple problems.

Time to use a better language like Perl, Python or Ruby.

--
When you tell me I should give proprietary software a fair technical
evaluation because its features are so nice, what you are actually doing