February PLUG Meeting: Git

Ryan Simpkins plug at ryansimpkins.com
Wed Feb 4 13:22:08 MST 2009

Date: February 11th, 2009
Time: 7:30 PM - 9:30 PM
Location: Omniture, Inc.

PLUG:

Barry Roberts will be our presenter this month. He will be discussing the Git
Version Control System. From Barry...

"I've been a programmer and sometimes sysadmin for Xactware Solutions for over
13 years. I program in Java, groovy, Python, Perl, bash and C#. Shockingly,
the division I work for has become an island of Linux in a sea of Windows
servers. I've been researching replacing CVS for over 5 years now. Last April,
I helped all our developers and testers switch to Git. I've been the internal
support person for Linux and Windows git clients since then."

"In this presentation I hope to use concrete examples and experience to
convince every programmer that not using git is shortening your life,
frightening your children, and contributing to the current economic malaise.
We will also look at some cool git-related tools including a cross-platform
gui I've done some minor hacking on to keep Windows users happy."

Based on discussions from our last meeting, there is bound to be a lot of
interest in git. We hope to see you all there!