Server Temperature Monitor?

Kimball Larsen kimball at kimballlarsen.com
Mon Feb 2 22:22:13 MST 2009

On Feb 2, 2009, at 9:07 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Kimball Larsen wrote:
>> Possibly not - but if the temp ever gets to 150 in the first place,
>> the new A/C unit I installed is no longer working properly, and
>> I'll be alerted to the fact I gotta get some cold air in that
>> server room asap.
>>
>> That's the only reason I needed this. :)
>
> I am working on a project at work that does exactly this.
> Unfortunately, it's not exactly available to the public. :) We allow
> users to customize alarms and thresholds and can take preventative
> action like shutting down equipment that is over-heating or alerting
> the staff in an operations center. We've actually built quite a
> framework of it, all using Qt with a pretty nifty ORM backed by
> MySQL on Fedora 10, but I digress.
>
> We manage multi-rack systems of hundreds of pieces of equipment
> (including servers and signal processing gear). In our case, we
> usually use a separate box for monitoring temperature as they are
> more reliable and don't fail if a server fails (like from
> overheating!). If you're interested, I can give you more info, but
> the boxes we use tend to make their temperature data available via
> HTTP or SNMP, both of which are readily fetchable with command line
> scripts.
>
> Separate temperature boxes are also nice because they usually have
> probes that you can place where you want them, like right near the A/
> C unit so you can tell quickly if it has failed and fix the problem
> before it damages your gear. They are pretty cheap too. I can't
> imagine operating any kind of data center, small or large, without
> one.
>
> --Dave

I would agree - but I'm not really running a datacenter.  I've got a
single rack.  In said rack I've got a single 1U server.  Below that on
a shelf I've got a single tower form factor computer acting as a
fileserver.  Next to that I've got a UPS.  Above the 1U mounted server
I've got a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and kvm.

I just needed a very cheap and dirty way to know if the temp spiked on
the server.

If, however, I ever add much hardware into this room, you can betcher
behind I'll be looking for stand-alone devices to monitor temp/
humidity, etc.

Thanks!

-- Kimball