Server Temperature Monitor?

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Mon Feb 2 21:17:04 MST 2009

Dave Smith <dave at thesmithfam.org> writes:

> I am working on a project at work that does exactly
> this. Unfortunately, it's not exactly available to the public. :) We
> allow users to customize alarms and thresholds and can take
> preventative action like shutting down equipment that is over-heating
> or alerting the staff in an operations center. We've actually built
> quite a framework of it, all using Qt with a pretty nifty ORM backed
> by MySQL on Fedora 10, but I digress.
>
> We manage multi-rack systems of hundreds of pieces of equipment
> (including servers and signal processing gear). In our case, we
> usually use a separate box for monitoring temperature as they are more
> reliable and don't fail if a server fails (like from overheating!). If
> you're interested, I can give you more info, but the boxes we use tend
> to make their temperature data available via HTTP or SNMP, both of
> which are readily fetchable with command line scripts.
>
> Separate temperature boxes are also nice because they usually have
> probes that you can place where you want them, like right near the A/C
> unit so you can tell quickly if it has failed and fix the problem
> before it damages your gear. They are pretty cheap too. I can't
> imagine operating any kind of data center, small or large, without
> one.

I used to work on a gadget that also did temperature monitoring for
racks of computer equipment, among other things.  I can't tell from what
you wrote if you guys built the separate temperature monitor devices or
bought them off the shelf.  I'm surprised that separate monitoring
devices like that aren't more common.

                --Levi