Server Temperature Monitor?

Joseph Hall joseph at thatworks.com
Mon Feb 2 14:17:47 MST 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Kimball Larsen
<kimball at kimballlarsen.com> wrote:
> So, given that I'm not much of a shell scripter guy, anyone have any tips
> for how to get the system to mail me if the temp ever gets above, say, 160
> F?

Here's an ugly one-liner for a cron job:

TEMP=$(sensors -f | grep -m 1 F); TEMP=$(echo $TEMP | sed
's/[^[:digit:]]//g'); if [ "$TEMP" -ge 160 ]; then echo 'TOO HOT' |
mail root -s 'TOO HOT'; fi

Of course, you could beautify it and put it into a script too. I'm
sure plenty of pluggers would be able to give you a much prettier
script too. This was just a quick and dirty one off the top of my
head.

--
Joseph
http://blog.josephhall.com/