Server Temperature Monitor?

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Mon Feb 2 13:45:18 MST 2009

Joseph Hall wrote:
> Well, either I don't have a server-class motherboard in this box, or
> it's not configured correctly.
>
> # ipmitool sensor list
> Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0:
> No such file or directory
> Get Device ID command failed
> Unable to open SDR for reading

Try this first:

modprobe ipmi_msghandler
modprobe ipmi_si
modprobe ipmi_devintf

If you have IPMI hardware, those should succeed.  The udev rules should
produce /dev/ipmi/0 when those modules are loaded, but if they don't,
you can create the device file like so:

mknod /dev/ipmi0 c 254 0

> Unfortunately, lm_sensors is doing about as well for me as it is for Kimball:
>
> # sensors
> k8temp-pci-00c3
> Adapter: PCI adapter
> Core0 Temp:
>             -49°C
> Core1 Temp:
>              +1°C
>
> As awesome as it would be for my processor to be running that cool (or
> even be a dual-core, which that particular one isn't), I don't think
> it's right.

Oh come on, computers never lie, so admit it: you're using liquid
nitrogen to cool it.  Can I have some?

Shane