Server Temperature Monitor?

Joseph Hall joseph at
Mon Feb 2 13:28:59 MST 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 1:13 PM, Shane Hathaway <shane at> wrote:
> The main thing you need is ipmitool, which is an IPMI client.  Try this:
>  ipmitool sensor list
> I noticed about 3 years ago that one of the key differences that make a
> motherboard server-class rather than desktop-class is the presence of a BMC
> with IPMI support.

Well, either I don't have a server-class motherboard in this box, or
it's not configured correctly.

# ipmitool sensor list
Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0:
No such file or directory
Get Device ID command failed
Unable to open SDR for reading

Unfortunately, lm_sensors is doing about as well for me as it is for Kimball:

# sensors
Adapter: PCI adapter
Core0 Temp:
Core1 Temp:

As awesome as it would be for my processor to be running that cool (or
even be a dual-core, which that particular one isn't), I don't think
it's right.